It has been pretty quiet here lately, but I wanted to throw up a few thoughts about Colossals and Gargantuans now that our local meta is starting to see more and more of these huge monstrosities. Personally, I have so far faced quite a few stormwalls, a pair of Conquests and Krakens each, and the mountain king. There are several Hyperions in our shop, as well as a Woldwrath or two. After fighting, and watching, these beasties in action, here is what I think:
- Thankfully, Colossals and Gargantuans didn’t ‘break’ the game, as many feared. While I fully expected them to be balanced, given a pretty good track record from Privateer Press on that subject, many people thought this was the end of Warmachine & Hordes. I am glad those naysayers were proven wrong again.
- Colossals and Gargantuans are very different creations. Whereas Colossals are very obviously mobile gun platforms, Gargantuans are almost universally not. Sure, they have some ranged firepower, but they don’t hold a candle to Colossals in that department.
- Colossals have been pretty impressive, but Gargantuans have fallen a bit flat. While I think the models are all terrific and very fun to play, Gargantuans just don’t fit in Hordes’ lists the same way Colossals fit for Warmachine. I think the best summary of this was written on the forums by sourclams. It is a good read, and essentially claims that by any metric, two beasts are preferable to one Gargantuan.
- The Stormwall is clearly the best huge base to be released yet, and I think that is fair. Given that Cygnar rarely ranks among the top flight competitors at serious tournaments, the faction needed a distinct bump. I feel like Stormwall has been that bump, and I don’t mind.
- Although, I do wish every Colossal and Gargantuan had a specific ability as interesting as the Stormpods. The other Colossals all have far less interesting uses of their S systems, and those pods really gives Stormwall the kind of versatility that the others are slightly lacking. Apparently PiP used up all their creativity on the Cygnar model. :P
- I am going to be really interested to see how Lylyth3 sells. Given that she is likely to run around the average Colossals price of $135, I would think many players take a pass as they would be unable to justify that much money for a model that cannot appear in every list. Maybe that is just me.