We finished up the Journeyman League this week. In the past I have talked about the stuff I have learned as I progress through the game. I thought it might be nice to hear from other sources. We had a total of 27 people signed up for the league. While I didn’t get a chance to talk with everyone about their experiences I was able to get a list of things that people took away from the tournament. Some of them are good tips, some of them are funny but what I took away from it was that everyone really seemed to enjoy the league and it was in general a very positive experience.
Quotes from contestants in the journeyman league.
- Play against experienced players will help you learn faster than playing against new players.
- Even if you have to borrow friends models try playing a new army.
- I was forced to play models that I had ignored until now. (when asked if they would use some of them now that the league was over, the answer was yes about Kaya)
- Carver is the best Pig Warlock. Mobility and Batten Down the Hatches is awesome
- Bring glue to the shop when you play otherwise your models WILL fall apart when you don’t have it
- Invictors are better than I thought. It was nice to have a unit that could do melee and ranged pretty well.
- Don’t take distances for granted. If you miss judge a shot by 1/8″ it still misses.
- Butcher sucks when you roll ones.
- Don’t forget to bring your tape measure or you end up with 15 at home.
- Phantom seeker doesn’t ignore elevation. Sprays also don’t ignore elevation. Your opponent still gets the +2 bonus.
- I miss the choir (this was one of my favorite quotes from a Protectorate player who did Ret for the league)
- It is really hard knowing when the right time to be aggressive is.
- Agree on the rules before you roll
- Kaelyssa can be very good for killing solos.
Again it was a great league and has left people more exited for the next event. We have two events already scheduled, the Bodger Bowl and the Privateer Press Dark Secrets League. I learned a lot and it seems like everyone from new to highly experienced players took something away from it. I will just have to figure out what new faction I will try!